Here are some easy, low-cost ideas to help you create your own sacred space:
- Choose a space that you feel relaxed in, whether it be a bedroom, a corner of your living room, or even a sheltered outdoor spot. It can even be the top of a bookcase, a shelf, or a table.
- Clear out the clutter. This is your sanctuary! Treat it as such. Remove anything that doesn't celebrate your connection to Spirit.
- Clear the energy. You can clear the energy of your space very easily with smudging. Sage bundles work very well at clearing. With a lighter, light your sage bundle, then blow it out, thus creating the smoke. Wave the bundle in the space to be cleared, setting the intention of clearing and creating a peaceful, loving environment.
- Set the stage. A favorite handkerchief, table cloth, piece of fabric, or scarf can be a beautiful and simple way to add color to your space. I used a heirloom table runner to cover the top of a bookcase.
- Time to decorate! Crystals, flowers, candles, pictures, statues, and sacred objects are all things you can use to make it your own sacred space. Switch things around with the seasons. Add and remove objects when you feel inspired to do so.
There are no rules to designing your own divine space. Use your intuition and have fun with it!